Welcome!

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services.  
Share and discuss the best content and new marketing ideas, stay Up to Date With Pimax VR Products, Orders, Experiences, Pitool, VR Ready PCs, Medium, Developers, Content and More…

Justin Haga
On 9/11/20, 4:58 PM

No Man's Sky settings update:

You can achieve, near perfect, unblurred render quality for distance / lods with vega 64.

*the trade-off in this case is pitool field of view. just imagine you're looking out of your helmet. it's not that bad honestly considering how large a small fov really is for the 8k x.

NMS settings:

• texture quality: high (welcome to try ultra though)

• world quality: ultra 

• texture filtering: max it out to 16x

• leave everything else to standard or off and gradually step up these other settings one at a time as/if you see fit.

pitool settings:

(i setup a game settings profile in pitool for this since small is less than ideal for other things)

• field of view: small (trust me it's not that bad for the visuals and stability we need to achieve)

• render quality: 2.0

• gpu catalyst: 1.0

• smart smoothing: on

• hidden area mask: on

• compat parralel project: off

• vive only compat: off

• panel mode: native 

steamVR settings:

• render resolution: auto

• advanced supersampling filter: off

• overall render quality: high

amd radeon software / radeon adrenaline software settings:

(i actually made a game profile for nms for this aswell but might make it standard global)

•  *** anti-aliasing: ENHANCE APPLICATION SETTINGS (override didn't work well or at all for me in nms vr)

• ***anti-aliasing method: ADAPTIVE MULTISAMPLING

the rest of these settings i'll list i haven't tested one by one but i think they're a nice thought

• radeon anti-lag: enabled

• radeon image sharpening: enabled

• sharpness: 100%

• radeon enhanced sync: enabled

• **morphological anti-aliasing: enabled (i turned this on for giggles but the nms render looked great so i'll just leave it like it is despite this not working in vulkan apparently)

that's it for basic settings setup. im not going to get into clocks and system settings and all that non-sense. i have no idea how relevant it would be anyways.

well, hope you all enjoy the great, smooth, clear No Man's Sky! tweaking is the future! (until big navi) 

Your Reply

Richard Serra
On 9/10/20, 6:41 PM

Wow a lot to digest, and very useful info. Thanks a bunch Justin. I'm going to copy your reply for when I get my 8k.

Your Reply

Justin Haga
On 9/10/20, 7:04 PM

Thank you so much. I'm grateful for your reply. Basically, on older gpu's, or gpu's that have lower gaming potential like the vega 64, the pitool render quality is your main setting to adjust based on how render intensive the game youre are running is. skyrimVR is a lot less render intensive than no man's sky (per my experiences with 8k x), so for skyrimVR you can crank up those render quality levels to get rid of any distance blur.

im about to test no man's sky with my skyrimVR setup below just to see how it fairs, but im pretty sure i'll notice a lot of render quality problems.

Your Reply

Justin Haga
On 9/10/20, 6:20 PM

SKYRIM VR without any stutter whatsoever and un-obscured detail on vega 64 / vision 8k x with native 4k per eye (upscaled mode is borked for me as it seems to show mutliple other tiny panels in the extended fov area in addition to the primary render):

pitool common settings (individual game setting profiles unchecked):

pitool field of view setting: normal

pimax render quality setting: 2 (max)

pimax gpu catalyst setting: 1.0

compat parallel projections: offd

smart smoothing: on

hidden area mask: on

compat vive only game: on (not sure if this matters at all for skyrimVR)

steam vr settings:

resolution: auto

advanced supersampling filter: off

overall render quality: high

amd radeon global graphics settings (i haven't been using game profiles recently):

radeon anti-lag: enabled

radeon image sharpening: enabled @ 50%

radeon enhanced sync: enabled

radeon display tab settings:

hdmi link assurance: enabled (not sure if this matters for skyrimVR)

pixel format: YCbCr 4:4:4 Pixel Format (not sure if formats matter for vr headsets or skyrimVR)

overrides - HDCP Support: Disabled (not sure if matters)

radeon performance:

state6 (min) - 1632 mhz - 1000 mV

state7(max) - 1682 mhz - 1000 mV

(can['t edit hbm state0-state2, and i usually have state3 as min/max, but had state0 as min during the skyrimVR test so im conveying state0 as min to match)

hbm state3 (max) - 1050 mhz - 1000 mV

power limit % - 0.0

fan/temp settings:

30c - 45rpm

35c - 60rpm

40c - 70rpm

45c - 80rpm

50c - 100rpm

skyrimVR in-game settings:

supersampling: max

dynamic resolution: off

shadow quality: low

temporal anti-aliasing: off

turning mode: smooth

snap transiton: gradual

fov filters: off / off (unless you like it, but i find it a distraction and un-necessary)

i personally like the brightness pretty low and all the fade distances maxed. i dont know if disabling tree/actor lod's is a good or bad thing.

motherboard bios settings:

ram oc to 4k

memory interleaving: off (not sure if it matters)

amd cool and quiet: off (not sure if it matters)

pci-e lane speed setting: pci-e 2/8x (i dont think it matters but just incase. just testing really and it's working fine)

various other mobo tweaks but none i would consider important or worth remembering such as iommu etc.

hope this helps someone with great skyrimVR experiences!

Your Reply

Justin Haga
On 9/8/20, 12:27 AM

• pitool version v1.0.1.261

• headset firmware v2.1.255.29
• windows 10 version 10.0.18363 build 18363

• ax370-gaming k7 mobo with amd chipset drivers from gigabyte version 19.10.0429 only using gpio driver for promontory

• then using amd's  adrenaline driver software package version 20.8.2

the gigabyte amd chipset driver supplied windows with a balanced power plan for ryzen. i cranked the slider all the way up to performance in windows power setting before going in to edit the actual power plan. i'd never noticed that slider was there.

after reinstalling windows and disabling the device setup manager service before any and all driver installations, and then undervolting gpu/vram all to 900v (using gpu state 1 as minimum stage & vram state 3 as min/max *** all frequency clocks are standard, i only edited the voltage values) and max 50% power limit through radeon adrenaline driver software im extremely stable with vision 8k x with large fov at native 4k per eye , on vega 64 air cooled gpu (i may have flashed the gpu bios to use watercooled bios idk if i reverted), at render quality 1 and 0 gpu catalyst in pitool settings with smart smoothing on and the other options off under common settings. i have the other program settings (for things like steamvr or no man's sky) turned off, so that the common settings default to all.

to note: amd adrenaline software settings had surface format optimization on, aswell as hdmi link assurance. surprisingly i didn't have gpu scaling on. those are literally all the engaged adrenaline settings i have on at the moment. everything else is off or program defaults.

concerning steamvr i have turned off the advanced supersampling filter and steam vr home (steamvr is an obviously preferential though it looks amazing. i seen a butterfly!) I left steamvr render quality at high and render resolution to auto.

as far as no man's sky's in-game settings i run textures and draw distance/world settings to high or best (high seems enough), shadows and other things in the middle generally to enhanced or standard because they're not that important to the overall look. texture filtering to 16x, and as far as the jagged edge smoothing feature that is your preference as without it you have jaggies but it's clearer render, but i find either taa to low or taa+fxa to my liking.

the only setting that makes my vr render start to get choppy frames is hbao setting (ambient occusion for the simulation of real shadow). i find that low is enough to make the scene feel more immersive. anything above that seems to affect the sky more than the ground in my few tests.

when i first started testing the headset my win10 os setup was obviously very different because the vr render wasn't as stable, the gpu wasn't as cool, and the os environment was generally more chaotic in regards to drivers and render pipeline passthroughs. 

i think further distant lod quality or general render fidelity can be improved in NMS via ini edits or mods since the vr was designed to accomadate really sad vr headsets, unlike the superb pimax headsets like vision 8k x or 5k. im sure other games like hellblade will shine with this setup.

idk if i missed any important info or not. oh, i usually kill all page-files in windows and turn off the hibernation feature through a command prompt script, but so far it's running great so im going to leave it on for now.

cheers from an all amd system with the worlds very best vr headset!

oh, i forgot my amd adrenaline custom fan settings. one should really let those fans run to save the life of this particular gpu.

prepare thy over-ears headphones xD

30 degrees - 45% rpm

40 degrees - 55% rpm

45 degrees - 70% rpm

50 degrees - 85% rpm

55 degrees - 95% rpm

Your Reply

Justin Haga
On 9/5/20, 1:00 PM

no man's sky runs fine on vega 64 system mentioned above on upscaled mode. the details of the textures is a bit soft and obscurred, but it runs. im having issues with the current version of pitool. im going to regress to a previous build, over-clock the gpu, enable gpu scaling, and oc my ram back to 4ghz and then retest. ive also had odd phenomenons such as steam vr not opening the settings window. it will open the steam develeper options but not the standard options. maybe pitool regression will fix this? odd issues. perhaps its windows interfering.

edit - upscaled mode isn't fine. it has extra panel's or something in the extended 'large' render area whereas native 4k doesn't. this is probably a pitool version phenomenon, or maybe a variable i haven't retested since changing my setup.

Your Reply

Justin Haga
On 9/5/20, 3:20 PM

fixed steamvr options menu not loading. you have to allow vrwebhelper in your firewall rules and possibly vrmonitor. much disdain, but whatever.

Your Reply

Justin Haga
On 9/5/20, 3:09 PM

oddly enough the visuals seem to improve with lower pitool render quality. im still trying to find the sweet spot though.

Your Reply

Justin Haga
On 9/5/20, 3:04 PM

the upside to nms, at least for my setup, is that you can use keyboard and mouse combo

the downside is that distant lod's aren't clear (ive tried all sorts of settings and turning off settings that would make blur except steam vr settings which won't load)

Your Reply

Justin Haga
On 9/5/20, 1:42 PM

using radeon anti-lag and radeon image sharpening, gpu scaling, a standard hd desktop resolution, custom gpu profile for fan/min&max gpu&vram settings and downgrading to pitool v1.0.1.262 im able to run the vision 8k x at native 4k per eye with no stutter at all and decent visuals in no man's sky with a pitool render quality setting of 1.0 on large field of view (smart smoothing and vive compatible options are on at the moment)

my gpu seems to be between 50 - 80% utilization in the pitool vr home (space/moon simulation). i suspect i may have a bit of room to upgrade the pitool render quality.

Your Reply

Add a Comment

Keep Informed

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services.
Stay Up to Date With PiMAX VR Products, Orders, Experiences, Pitool, VR Ready PCs, Medium, Developers, Content and More…
Read Guidelines

Question tools

24 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 9/4/20, 11:35 AM
Seen: 117 times
Last updated: 9/11/20, 4:58 PM